January 8, 2011

If you wanted to just downright annoy me... You've succeeded

There is a fine line between being opinionated and being arrogant. Being educated and informed does not necessarily mean your right, or that the world will agree with you. You have your own views? Fine. Don't act like the rest of the world is absolutely terrible because they don't agree. Also, don't make broad statements that you cannot 100% personally support: i.e. "Liberals will never be safe in the southern half of this country. Ever." Unless you have been to the South and seen every single liberal personally physically hurt, you have no basis for such a statement.

On that note, the stereotype of the south baffles and annoys me to death. Asking the South to give up itss Confederate pride would be like asking England to destroy its palace because monarchies are not considered "politically acceptable." A misconception is that every Southerner during the Civil War was a crazed slave driver. Actually, most were fighting for state rights, slavery simply as a side issue. I am 100% sure that slavery is a crime, I am in no way defending it, I am simply speaking to the fact that the South has always been misrepresented and I am sick and tired of it. All Southerners are not bigoted racists like everyone seems to think. Before making a judgement, you better get your sorry ass down here.

Part of this reason this rant is here and isnt of out for the world to see is exactly my point. This is my view. Sure, I think it is correct, but I do not expect the world to agree with me. I would like people to be more informed and less ignorantly arrogant, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. It might offend someone in the middle of nowhere which will make national news and they will get their on show and have more money than they ever deserved.

Anyway, point is: OPINIONS are perfectly acceptable, in fact, encouraged. Arrogance, however, is just a sign that you have no idea what you are talking about and are more closed minded than the people you are criticizing for closed-mindedness. Get some values, some humility, and some self-awareness.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment