February 20, 2011

Big-Time Stuff

I'm gearing up for my corny-but-hopefully-inspirational Facebook event week of "Appreciate the Little Things." I should be sleeping right now, seeing as my Appreciation week ironically, coincidently, and happily overlaps with what will prove to be one of the hardest weeks I've faced at Cornell to date, but instead I'm here because I couldn't fall asleep thinking about all the corny inspirational things I wanted to blog about. I guess that's a good reason to be restless.

Jackson says this thing that apparently I said first, but it always rings true for me. "This is just small-time stuff." It helps put things in perspective. Prelims, stress, PT... They are all "small-time stuff." Family, love, friendship, happiness... That's the "big-time stuff."

I wish that I could make "Appreciation" week go on all the time. I want to let people know that they are appreciated, too. It's so easy to think about things you want to change in the world - and don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for that - but it's so important to be able to see the beauty that is already here. There are things that are bad, but there are so many more things that are good. Personally, I wouldn't make it through the day without thinking about something or someone that makes me smile or inspires me. I plan to write a whole post on people who I look to for hope.

One of my favorite quotations is by Allan Chalmers: "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for." I have plenty to do, I have so many people to love, and I have so much to hope and live for. I have every reason to be happy. What's crucial is remembering that when I face adversity. Which brings me to a recently-discovered-but-quickly-becoming-favorite quote by Washington Irving: "There is in every true woman's heart a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity; but which kindles up, and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity." In the face of adversity, I am strong and capable.

I am having a day that I desperately wish I could convey to people the beauty and grace of our world. Always endeavor to improve, but never take for granted what exists.

1 comment: