February 13, 2011

Every little thing is gonna be alright

I should be doing homework. I have a ton on my plate, and two problem sets due tomorrow. But I'm in an incredibly pensive mood and I'm having a difficult time focusing. I'm also missing writing. I am not feeling particularly inspired so I don't think I could do anything about it, but I'm feeling a bit of the Engineering blues. I'm going to do my best to write more this semester. Even just a poem or two. I'm going to look into an English minor too, since ultimately, my dream job would be editing for Wired.

It's on of those mood that every song that comes on my iTunes brings back a flood of memories or a bombardment of thoughts. It makes finding the ionic concentrations in solutions rather mundane. I want it to be summer so I could go sit next to Beebe Lake for hours on end and just be. The world is so beautiful. Regardless of the season, I absolutely adore the weather and the surroundings. I love the icy, pure beauty of winter. I love the incredibly inspiring colors and excitement and freshness of spring. I love the carefree, wonderful, sunny summer. And I love the nostalgic, crisp fall. The only problem with winter is that I can't go sit outside whenever I feel the need to do so. That is my sole complaint. Well, that and the cold.

The past few weeks have been rough. I have been making decisions that will literally affect the next ten years of my life. On top of that, I have been sick and just trying to keep up with Cornell. It's scary to be less than 20 and making decisions about where I'll be when I'm out of my 20s. Today I had such a strong urge to be in Mississippi at a Cracker Barrel after driving on the Natchez Trace, eating pancakes and then sitting on the porch listening to the crickets. I think that Mississippi in the summer at dusk will always be my favorite place in the world. Geez, I'm sappy. Everything just seems so simple there.

I wish I had some epiphany to share. I wish I could say that I had a life-changing experience to describe. Unfortunately, I am just here, distracting myself, thinking about life. And I really truly love life. It is incredibly hard sometimes, but there is always something to enjoy. Love. Family. The outdoors. Simply being alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment