March 7, 2013

Ode to My Mama

This is an ode to my mother. Today I was looking through old photos for the perfect “Throwback Thursday” choice and stumbled upon photos from Vail Velocity Volleyball (in itself lots of good memories, but that’s for another time). For some reason, this made me acutely aware of something about my mother that I had always known subconsciously but had never really realized in it’s entirety: My mom never allows herself to be a victim of circumstance. She doesn’t let her situation dictate her fate. She taught me to do something if I am unsatisfied. Vie for a leadership position, seek an ally, create a new situation, make a change. Some examples: can’t find a good figure skating dress shop nearby? No problem, we’ll start our own! Feel like something is being handled poorly at school? Talk to the middle school director! Have qualms with the choices in volleyball clubs in the area? I’ll order jerseys, find a coach, and register a brand new team!

My mama is my (and my sister’s) biggest advocate. And it’s not even in just in the big ways mentioned above. She taught us to carry ourselves with confidence, hold people and ourselves accountable, and ultimately, be useful. I learned that dreams need not have limits from her. Perhaps it has something to do with her craftiness (as in crafts, not mischievousness!) that she is able to configure a solution she is happy with, not just take a canned or obvious one.

She is selfless and loving and determined. Qualities that make her a kick-ass mom and a kick-ass person. And now she is taking on yet another thing: her challenges with her weight. Emily & I are off at school and what does my mom do? Join a club and a weight-loss challenge in which she is not only participating but is ranked FIRST in her club!

My mama taught me the true meaning of “You go girl” and I could not be more grateful. Love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment