December 9, 2010

Chip On My Shoulder

Earlier, Nina Simone was belting it through the room: "Birds flying high / You know how I feel / Sun in the sky / You know how I feel / Breeze drifting on by / You know how I feel / It's a new dawn / It's a new day / It's a new life for me / AND I'M FEELING GOOD." That's always one way to kick my mopey butt into gear!

So I'm studying for CS/procrastinating by buying Christmas presents and listening to music. I was suddenly motivated to buckle down when Legally Blonde (the musical)'s song, "Chip on my Shoulder," came on. Even if its goofy and Broadway-y, it is a good outlook: "I got a chip on my shoulder / and it's as big as a boulder / with this chance I've been given / I've gotta be driven as hell." I'm gonna do great on CS and I'm gonna pass math. I'm gonna make people proud of me. I'm gonna be proud of myself.

A few things grazed my conscience today. Another song-inspired moment: Charlotte Martin's "Beautiful Life": "The sun may come up / the sun may go down again / I still swear its a beautiful life" after and up and down crazy emotional day. And after commenting to my dad that Ithaca is like Alaska. Also, while in the doctor's office to get a prescription renewal, all I could think about was going home. I was having all these moments of remembering past doctor visits - from my embarrassing H1N1 puking episode, to knee appointments which involved coloring on the protective paper with my wonderful mama.

Ah, and now the Beatles's "Here Comes the Sun." Sometimes I think that my iTunes can read my mood. Exam tomorrow? Bring it. I'm happy and I'm keeping it that way.

LESS THAN ONE WEEK TO HOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment